Thursday, November 6, 2008

Belly Flop

Proverbs 25:28
What good is self-control?

Getting a sugar buzz sure isn't the only way to lose control of yourself. A guy who misuses drugs has misplaced his brain. A girl who drinks to much and ends up making a bad choice and loses her body, and maybe her health or her life.

Letting your emotions or hormones run wild can destroy you. When you lose Self-Control, you're like an ancient city with broken walls. You have NO PROTECTION. You have no power over who comes in or who goes out or what they do.

God respects you enough to make you ultimately responsible for yourself. HE gives you parents, teachers, and other adults to help instruct and shape you. But in the end, YOU answer to God for yourself.Having authority over yourself is God's gift that allows you to follow him, not becuase you have to, but because you WANT TO!

But we abuse God's gift whenever we surrender control of yourself to anything or anyone other than God. You might as well bind your hands, gag your mouth, and unplug your brain. If you dont control yourself, some other nasty thing will.

4 comments:

lsprkr said...

Hmm, loosing self control. Thinking that you can control something and then realizing that it is actually controlling you. Realizing that you are now in bondage to something that you told yourself you could quit at any time. Yeah, I’ve been there.

But I’ve also found freedom – through Jesus Christ. I no longer want control of my life because when I’m in control I fail. I want God to take over and be in control. Living a life with Christ is so much better than anything the world can offer.

-lisa

Anonymous said...

Thank you chad for that little section called belly flop that helps alot.Cause when i was in 5th grade i would do things just to have friends and to blend in.Sin took over me so when we moved to texas and i went to church hearing you talk helped me realize that only god takes over my life.So thank you for helping me!
MARIAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

AHHH CONTROL!! I hate that word! You try to take things into your own hands and do things your way and before you know it, your falling fast and it seems like there is no one there to catch you. Not only can you loose self control, but self respect, and like the devotional says, your life, your body, and your mind. The sad part is that it doesn't take a lot for you to loose these things.
The biggest thing I struggle with is letting God have control. Mainly because he doesn't do things in the timing that I want him to, which is completely selfish on my part. And when I get frustrated and tired of waiting, I try and take back that control and all it does is make things worse. But I know from experience that giving things to God is the only thing you can ever do, no matter how big or how small the problem is.

Anonymous said...

The best example of self control I've found lies in the military. They have a phrase that applies not only to physical warfare but also to spiritual war. That a soldier should remain "cool, calm, and collected" in the midst of battle. If you remain thus throughout trials and tribulations, God can more adequately use you to fight off what ever specific enemy the devil has brought to your door step. And you will be seen as leader (as well as a good example)!
Thanks for the message Chad!
James