Friday, November 14, 2008

Pop Quiz

John 6:5-13
What does Jesus want more from you?

Jesus has a situation on his hands.A crowd of five thousand men, plus women and children, swarms toward him and his disciples. Jesus sees it's time to eat. And time for a pop quiz: "Where's lunch from?" Jesus asks."For the whole hillside!" he adds.But he's not wondering where he can find the nearest Taco Cabana or looking for volunteers to spare their pocket change. What he really wants is to know what the disciples think about him.
None of Jesus' disciples answer the quiz question right. Philip mumbles about the price.Andrew finds a kid toting what he regards as a useless little snack of fish and chips. To solve,to survive, and onteir own they don't see any solutions.
All Jesus wants them to do is to ask for his help. "Crack the bread in half, Jesus." he wants them to say."Start passing it around. You're able to do what we can't."What he wants from his disciples, from his followers back then and from us now, is TRUST. It wasn't supposed to be a trick question. It was a trust question.

John 6:5-6

4 comments:

lsprkr said...

"Do you trust me?"

I wonder if God gets tired of asking me that question. I feel like every week He has to ask me that. Why? Because I say that I trust Him yet I continue to cling onto things so tightly that it leaves fingernail marks on my palms. So I may say that I trust God but my actions sometimes indicate that I don’t.

Funny thing is, when I finally let go and trust God, everything works out. Not once has He let me down. He has never given me a reason not to trust Him so why do I still insist on holding onto things so tightly? My conversations with God typically go like this:

“Do you trust me?”

“Yes”

“Then let go.”

Anonymous said...

I think it kind of comes back to the verse from proverbs: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding".
When we trust in him to solve the problem then we gain a personal connection to this verse in Luke: "Jesus replied, What is impossible with men is possible with God."

God has given man the choice to trust in him or to go his own way so many times throughout history that you'd think we'd get the picture.... But this continous faliure alows us to see part of God's absolute perfection and his complete and total ability to win out and conquer any problem.

Thanks for the message Chad!

James

Anonymous said...

peter 5:7!!!
its so much easier when we trust god to
its so hard to do at first but when he takes that weight of worry off your shoulders its SOOO releiving
even tho we(more like i) still cling to things we need to let go and let the LION roam throughout my life
thats hard for me to do
just gotta trust he'll put on my heart what needs to be and keep running through the mine feild
-LoOcEl

Anonymous said...

I love this one, when I was reading it I wasn't expecting what Jesus was thinking. It is true.


-Jared