Thursday, October 23, 2008

GET UP AND GO ON

How can we overcome our mistakes and mess-ups?
Read Philippians 3:12-14
Mistakes make you want to quit. Botch a few assignments in a class at school, and its tough to keep trying. You figure you're no good, that working harder won't change your grade anyway, there's no way to start over. Mess up a few classes or a few semesters and you might start to think school isnt for you.

When you blow it as a Christian you can't take back hurt you've caused. you have to live with the consequences of messing up. Sin still offends God. But God makes a way to repair your relationship with him and start over right now. A verse in 1 John tells how: "if we confess our sins, he is faithfull and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness" 1:9.
That's part of what Pauk meant by "forgetting what is behind." When you admit your sin to God, he forgives you and picks you up so you can press on toward the goal of knowing Christ completely. Don't ever give up on following Christ just because you fall down. There's no such thing as a Christian who never stumbles. Real Christians are the ones who get up and go on.

But one thing I do:forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:13-14

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've learned from the many mistakes ive made in my life that, just like you say chad, its all meant to be learned from and build character. you just have to stop and look at your life or mistakes you've made and ask yourself...how can i learn from this?, what can i gain?

-Trey

Anonymous said...

I struggle with guilt and shame from my past at times. But I remember my sister telling me once that I can think back on those things and choose to sulk and wonder, “What in the WORLD was I thinking?!?” Or I can think back on those things and choose to praise God for getting me through those times and thank Him for His forgiveness and grace. I’m just thankful that we serve a God that will never give up on us and who will give us an infinite amount of second chances. The Lord knows I’ve needed every one of them…

-lisa

Anonymous said...

Man it is so hard to press on. It isn't easy to strive for perfection because I make so many mistakes. I just want to give up. I don't want to keep trying because it gets too hard and it's painful sometimes.

But God isn't calling us to be comfortable. Instead he says to "press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me." Its easy to look at all the past mistakes, and not want to move on. But God put those faults in our life for a reason. I need to look at them and see what the benefit is of those happening. This helps me grow stronger in my faith daily and "press on to the end of the race."