Tuesday, October 7, 2008

If you snooze you LOSE

Why would anyone want to "please God in every way?"

Before we decide to trust God, we figure that knowing, following, an enjoying God ranks in value right up there with a stash Starbucks or Chick fil a bags thrown in your car. So instead of recognizing God as King of the universe, we rule our own lives. We're God's enemies, rebels, against him.

You probably know the facts on how God figured out a way to bring us back to himself. Though we deserve to die for our sins(Romans 6:23). Christ suffered our punishment for us. He died on the cross in our place so we can be forgiven(Colossians 1:22-23)

Once you're sure of those facts, you have a colossal reason to choose total devotion to Jesus. You've admitted, I've been wrong, God. I thought you werent worth it. I disobeyed you. I accept the gift of forgiveness and daily to follow God because you realize the infinite value of being tight with him. He's rescued you and brought you into his kingdom of love. And he's worth every bit of you life.

And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God. Colossians 1:10

So is your alarm going off? Are you hitting the snooze? Is God trying to show you his grace but your sleeping through it? If it is then WAKE UP!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh... wow. This really describes how I used to live. (Before Beach Retreat opened my blind eyes.) I used to never think about God. I knew he existed... And that he was somewhere high above where I was standing, but I never felt grateful for the many blessings I've recieved from him throughout my life so far. Even the smallest of gifts from God, I now appreciate it, unlike back then, back when I was selfish... a big sinner... a rebel. (like you said)

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I think we choose to rule our own lives because we want to find a reason to feel sorry for ourselves. We want the sympathy from others around us. This is purely caused by our selfish desires.

We need to wake up and realize that God's grace allows us not to have to feel that way. He died on the cross so our sins are forgiven and we don't have live in that pit of sorrow.

Many times what I don't see myself is that God's grace and love is so much better than any love that comes from our piers. God's grace is what we are truly seeking!

Anonymous said...

Truly, i think that we take advantage of knowing that God's always there for us, but as humans we for whatever reason desire to live this "worldly lifestyle" which is ironic to me, because in this life we are relying on the worldly pleasures to satisfy us, but more than anything it lets us down. If we desire to go to God rather than indulge ourselves in earthly things, he'd give us the desires of our hearts! His grace is amazing, we should be more thankful in the fact that he's always there!

Anonymous said...

I think that we don't put any value on our relationship with God because we don't live for Him. We strive so hard to please everyone around us and accomplish things that will bring ourselves glory.

A very wise person asked me...."Do you work to please others or work only to please God?"

Who you strive to please is the person/thing you live for. So many days my time with the Lord is the last thing to do on my list and I went a whole day with working to death and NEVER brought Him any glory. I don't live in the shelter of His wings and love and grace. I don't live for Him like He calls me to. And I miss out on the BIGGEST blessings each day I don't live for Christ.

Anonymous said...

SO this doesn't really have anything to do with that, buut you wrote colossal in it and so i decided to read colossians and i found this verse that kind of goes along with what you were saying tonight about being passionate and giving it your all every Wed and Sunday and every other day-not just cause we're at the beach.

3:23-"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working fot the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving."
I know he's talking to slaves, but I think it's pretty applicable to what you said tonight. I guess it's just a good reminder to be passionate about everything you do, especially in worship and spending time with God, if you get what i'M saying..