Thursday, October 16, 2008

Hunger Pains

Have you ever just been sitting there and all of a sudden your stomach starts to just making some rumbles and you get those pains, you know its time to eat. But what happens if your in class and the teacher is the like the teacher who talks slow and it feels like it will never end!!

Read John 6:28-35
What do you think drew people to Jesus?

No one forces you to eat. You eat because you're hungry. Your stomach growls and you stuff
something into it.

Hunger is what pulls you to God. Your questions, problems, doubts, triumphs, failures, your dreams about things you want to be or to, the things you love and hate-know it or not, those are the hunger pains poking us to get tight with God by spending time with him and his Word.

When you go out to eat you never say, "give me one of EVERYTHING, please," then try to eat it all. And you don't have to gulp down the Bible all at once. Start with a few of the Bible's choicest morsels, and later you can eat your way through the rest of the menu.

And while you're at it, dont just focus on the load of spiritual vitamins, amino acids, and complex carbohydrates you're getting. Who wants a plateful of that? You might as well ask a preacher to jab you with an intravenous needle and inject you with sermons. In the same way, if you come to your Bible always telling yourseld, I'm doing this because I have to, or "I need to finish the Bible by next month or else," you'll lose your appetite for God.
Food that tastes good lures you closer. Jesus promises that HE'S that kind of food-food that satisfies better than anything else. He is what makes Bible reading something you do because you want to, not because you have to.

Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty." John 6:35

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

great enrty chad!, and you know what...
I'M STARVING!!! lol
see you soon, an hope you have a great day!

-Trey

Anonymous said...

Okay, so do you remember those Snickers commercials with the guy who is dressed up in a dog costume at an amusement park and he’s being grumpy to all the customers because he’s hungry? The tag line of that commercial is, ‘Grumpiness. Another unfortunate side effect to hunger.’ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9LW6mXaPKE

I love that commercial! Not only because I know a few people who get grumpy like that when they get hungry (me!) but also because I realize that I get that way in my relationship with God. If I skip my quiet times or I’m not living the way God wants me to live it’s like I’m starving myself from Him and I start to get grumpy. It affects my mood, my actions, and the way in interact with the people around me. When I start to notice that happening, I know it’s time for me to get back to God’s word and fill up on Him. And that's the only thing that truly satisfies.

-lisa

Anonymous said...

It would be a miracle if we could all just "eat the Bible" all at once. But no, we have to take it in little by little. To me, the coolest thing about God's Word is that there is at least one Bible verse for every single thing going on in my life. Whether I'm praising and thanking God or going through a hard time, I can sit down and eat God's word one bite at a time.

Anonymous said...

I love the verse john 6:35 because it is so true. whenever we stray away from God we feel this empty part inside us and don't really know how to fill it. but I have come to realize that nothing can but God and his word. when I read the bible I fill that emptiness and want to read more. God has a magical way of planning things out as long as we follow him.
-allie