Friday, October 24, 2008

Look Alikes

What qualities are rubbing off on you, thanksto the Holy Spirit, as you get to know God?
Read Galatians 5:19-26
The passage begins by telling what you would look like without God--full of rebellion, trom sexual immorality to idolatry to drunkenness,jealousy , and selfishness. Not that all non -Christians sport all those grotesque features, but when we dont know God we can't see how we are living. If we hangout with that type of crowd what are we assoicated with? But if you choos to live for God, close to God, you will pick up some qualities that will be worth living for. Its like the old saying, " you are what you eat". Dont go and try to eat the Bible but if we spend time with God, other Christians, church, youth groups, all of a sudden our life qualities start to change.
Thats the cool part of the look alike thing. As you know Jesus better, people will see that you look more and more like him(1corinthians 3:18). No one can fault you for being his look alike("against such things there is no law). People can't criticize you for being loving, joyful, peaceful, patient, kind, good, faithful, gentle, and self-controlled. And if they do, that just says how messed up they are.

Read Galatians 5:22-23 that's the verse of the day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

every since i started going to wend. nights and sun. morning i believe i've become a better person in general. its not just one characteristic, its everything. anyone who knew me before knows how i've changed.

-Trey

Mackey said...

I will be the first to say this post defines my life, Old and new. All it takes is one simple night to tear you away from what you've worked so hard for. It takes months and sometimes longer to work up the reputation of a "christian" and it takes seconds to strip it from your name. One night is all it takes to be known as a "partier" rather than "God's Child".

Anonymous said...

I know the fruits of the spirit, and I know how I'm not supposed to live (according to verses 5:19-20). But my favorite verse of chapter 5 is verse 25. My version says,"Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit's leading in every part of our lives."

Wow. Every part? When I think about everything I do...from the music I listen to or the stuff I see on TV, I cannot say that I glorify God in every part of my life. God put those fruits of the spirit there not just so I can memorize them, but so I can put them into practice in "every part of my life." That is something I'm striving to do every day. It would be awesome to be a reflection or "look-alike" of my Savior!